SMGR/Crontab Problem on 3B1 kills newsrun

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Sat Feb 9 07:33:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb8.030832.10976 at uncle.uucp> donlash at uncle.UUCP (Donald Lashomb) writes:
>In article <1991Feb7.055142.21744 at colnet.uucp> res at colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
>=I have just been experimenting with a problem I had with cnews running on
>=an AT&T Unix-PC (3B1) (3.51m OS).  Occasionally, newsrun would terminate
>=prematurely, leaving partially uncompressed files.  No news was lost -- the

   [...]

>=with the execution of crontab processes if they are not explicitly protected.
>=Anyone have any ideas?
>
>You might want to try my version of cron (recently posted to alt.sources and
>unix-pc.sources).  Crontab jobs in my version run unattached to any tty.
>BTW- you also get at(1), batch(1) and user crontab(1) with my cron.

	But, I never got the last part of that posting!  I remember some
other complaints, then I was in the throes of switching over from getting
forwarded copies of the unix-pc.* groups to running Cnews, and something may
have fallen in the bit-bucket at that time.  If others have not gotten
everything as well, can this be re-posted as a comp.sources.3b1 entry?

	Thanks
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564