v01i002: Kernel configuration files, version 2, Part01/01

Scott Bertilson ssb at quest.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 16:38:42 AEST 1991

  For what it's worth, the kernel on the 3b1 has an inode table, not
a true cache...in the sense that entries are only valid as long as
some process is still using that inode.  This contrasts with a true
SVR2 or SVR3 system where the entries are still valid and can be
reclaimed by a future access to that inode.  This can be demonstrated
using "crash" (there is a PD XENIX version that partially works on
the 3b1) because on the 3b1, the "i_number" element of the structure
gets set to 0 thus destroying the entry whereas on SVR[23], the
reference count goes to 0, but "i_number" doesn't so the entry can
be found on a later scan.
  I only mention this from the standpoint that on SVR[23], it pays
to make the inode table oversize since it is a true cache.  I
checked this out awhile back because I decided to trim my inode
table down to a more reasonable size for a single user machine
(It was set to 400, I've now got 70 more buffers instead).
  I would be delighted to find out I'm wrong, but I've
checked it very carefully.
--

Scott S. Bertilson   ...ssb at quest.UUCP
			scott at poincare.geom.umn.edu