my 3b1 won't boot at all

Mariusz Stanczak Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
Sun Feb 24 22:23:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb24.010016.7578 at cbfsb.att.com> jcs at cbnewsb.cb.att.com (John "C". Sucilla) writes:
>murphyn at motcid.UUCP (Neal P. Murphy) writes:
>>jcs at cbnewsb.cb.att.com (John "C". Sucilla) writes:
[...]
>>>.... Pick it up about two inches and then drop it.
>
>>Yes, your name isn't Shirley, but you do jest. Dropping the system two
>>inches is a good way to break things.
>
>No, I *don't* jest.  I've been doing it for years.  A LOT of people use this
>"quick fix" method to get the box to come back up.  It was standard
>procedure in the old days.

Now I understand why the metal case on my machine (bought used) sunk in
so much... I had problems putting in cards.  The whole "card cage" is bent,
probably from a repeted aplication of such rituals ;-) (or could it be that
just time loosened up the joints, and the whole structure sunk in under its
own weight?)

>>Open the case (by removing the appropriate 10-16 screws) and disconnect
>>and reconnect every connection you can find (after unplugging the AC mains,
>>of course.) It should boot after that.
>
>I've tried it, *this* is also not a garanteed fixed.

What is? (especially if one can't even hope to know... as in understanding)
;-)  But somewhat things are more sain if one makes an effort to
systematicaly attempt to find out what's flaking out.  A chance for maybe
even a permanent fix instead of a lottery approach.  In one, it takes time
to "win", in the other it's just a chance.

>The correct way is to open the thing up and thoroughly clean the motherboard
>and all connectors.  I hear the board is extremely sensitive to static

The voice of sense... no other long term way.

INET: Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430 at compuserve.com
UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!fbits!Mariusz