Need 3b1-end pinouts for parallel interface

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Sat Feb 23 04:27:31 AEST 1991

Sorry Daryl, nothing against you,
your posting just struck a sensitive cord:

In article <12347 at helios.TAMU.EDU>, dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:
> I was going to hook up the old C.Itoh Prowriter 8510 this weekend
> when I noticed that my 3B1 uses a female centronics connector instead
> of the more common DB-25 for its parallel port.  After calling around,
> no local businesses stock the male centronics-male centronics cable

ARGGGGGGGGGGGH!

More PC-centric hogwash!  Prior to the IBM-PC, the primary parallel
interface used the 36 pin "Centronics" connector.  None, to my know-
ledge, used a DB-25.

Then big blue decided to make its serial port use the DB-9 and the
parallel port use the DB-25 connector.  Both against "industry"
standards.

I can still remember nievely connecting a modem to the DB-25 "serial"
port on an IBM-PC and blowing 6 chips on the modem because of the
higher voltages on the parallel port than the serial modem was designed
for.

Please, Convergent/AT&T got it right on the UNIX-PC.  The parallel port
is a 36 pin Centronics type connector.  A male-male centronics cable
can be obtained from any non-PC-CENTRIC supply house.

I can remember a shouting match between me an a Rat Shack sales person
over the phone who claimed there was no computer in the WORLD that had
a 36 pin connector.  I said I was looking at a UNIX-PC and it had one.
He said he had a UNIX-PC at home just like the one for sale in the store
and it did not have a 36 pin connector!  ARRRRRRGH.

Sorry for the Band Width, I'm not enamored with PC"s.  ;-)

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon