Mixing 3.5 and 3.51

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at amc-gw.amc.com
Sat Feb 23 04:14:48 AEST 1991

   Chris Rende talks about creating a 3.51m kernel "from the OSU binaries."
Does this mean that kern.cpio.Z can be used to generate a complete 3.51m
kernel from scratch, without already having 3.51?

   If so, what would happen if I took my present all-3.5 system and
installed a 3.51m kernel? From Chris's results, it should work, except that
I'd still be using the 3.5 development system, which sounds questionable.

   If the 3.5->3.51m changes were internal, or only added new kernel
interface functions, then there's a good chance of it working, since the
library functions will find all the calls they know and love. But if existing
interface was changed, then there will be trouble.
   Since Chris's 3.5 utilities worked, the 3.5 libraries may still be
valid, too. But it would be nice if somebody who knows could hold forth
on the subject.

   [Replies to address in header are OK; replies to Picarefy (see .sig)
would be better.]

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa at amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731 at compuserve.com