".GIF" files

Kenn Booth II kennii at wybbs.mi.org
Mon Feb 25 19:55:29 AEST 1991

In article <843 at argon.UUCP>, ebh at argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:
> In article <993 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> >I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
> >into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
> >
> >	cat a | b | c
> >
> >is entirely equivalent in result to:
> >
> >	b < a | c
>
> That's correct, but notationally, setting up a long pipeline using
> only pipes is, for some people, more intuitive than throwing a re-
> direction in there, since the order "do something with a, then b,
> then c" is maintained.
>
> There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
> process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
> cut around that.

I find it easiest just to save files as "file.x.y" as in "file.2.5" for
file 2 of 5... then, at a glance of my directory, I can tell if they are missing
anything... then, do a:

cat file.* | uudecode | zoo -test *.zoo

will combine them, decode, and test the .zoo archive it leaves when done
(assuming it uses .zoo... I leave it off when done...)

(note... the above example probably won't work on systems that don't always
keep the directory in alphabetical order...)

Kenn "Jazz" Booth II -- Micro-Data Consultants

[jazz at eurynome.grand-rapids.mi.us] [...!uunet!mailrus!eurynome!jazz]
[kennii at wybbs.mi.org] [...!uunet!mailrus!sharkey!wybbs!kennii]
[jazz at entropy.UUCP] [...!uunet!mailrus!{eurynome|wybbs}!entropy!jazz]