List of replacement hard drives for 3b1

Dave Hanna dave at dms3b1.uucp
Wed Feb 13 12:00:55 AEST 1991

Michael, thanks for re-posting that list of drives.  That is very useful
information, especially with John Milton's HD2 board shipping.

Related topic:   Does anyone know if the heads on a Maxtor XT-1140
are auto-parking or not?  I just got one used (I'm currently using
it on a PC until I get my HD2 board.) and I want to know if I need
to worky about parking the heads before powering down.

Also, for anyone considering purchasing a large drive, I had heard
rumors that the XT-1140's (918 cylinders,140 Meg, 120 formatted) were
really the same drive as the XT-2190 (1224 cylinders, 190 Meg, 160 formatted),
just not certified for the full 1224 cylinders.   So I tried it.  I
told the controller that it had 1224 cylinders, and it went merrily
along formatting it.  It flagged another dozen or so bad sectors in
the cylinders between 919 and 1224 (there were 47 listed in bad block
list between 0 and 918), but other than that it was fine.  (I'm
also running it RLL instead of MFM.)  I'll let you know if I have
any bad experiences as a result.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda