Lots of weird hangs reported - could be a 3.51m bug?

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Thu Feb 7 11:27:29 AEST 1991

I used to have the occasional odd hang and other strange occurences.  Then
I got a UPS.  System stays up for months at a time, and then comes down
usually because of some pilot error or the power going away for longer than
the UPS stays up.  I've been running 3.51m since about a week after it was
available, and I've not noticed any problems with the machine up 24 hours a
day.  However, the machine is mostly a personal convenience, and it is
lightly used (i.e., not running netnews, no other regular users, low uucp
traffic, etc.)  I'll have to pay more attention to window switching time,
though.

My personal theory is that the 3b1's power supply is sensitive to the power
coming from the line.  The $500 I spent on a UPS is one of the best
investments I've ever made.

-wilkes  <wilkes at mips.com>