ksh broke my vi (repost)

Jim Van Horn azar at morpho.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 03:51:13 AEST 1991

[I have to assume that this didn't make it out the first time as
1) I got nada response and 2) there was some kind of news problem
in the neighborhood.  I missed some postings that day, including
the list of 3b1 harddrives. :(  -jvh]

has dissabled a favorite ex alias/abbreviation.  This didn't
happen under the old ksh, nor does it happen when I login under
/bin/sh.

Situation:
Let's say I want to "vi this_file", and from within the
session I decide to ":!ls %".  What I get at the bottom of
the screen is:

!ls this_file
????????? not found
[Hit return to continue]

Note that vi (or ex) properly expands '%', but ls not only
can't find the file, it can't even print the file name (all
those question marks are actually reversed).  What's happening
is that each character in the file name, as received by ls,
has the high-order bit set.  In other words, what was 't' (0x74)
is now 0xF4, and what was 'h'(0x68) is now 0xE8, etc.

Plea for help:
Anyone got any fixes, work-arounds, suggestions?  I really like
the new ksh, but, and I hate to admit this in public, I use
":!spell %" all the time.
--
-Jim Van Horn	uunet!amc-gw!morpho!azar

	      "Where it falls mandrakes grow.
	That's why they shriek when you pull them up"