premature dropping of unix-pc.* (was Re: semi regular kit blurb)

Chuck Bacon crtb at helix.nih.gov
Sat Feb 16 00:00:06 AEST 1991

Trujillo's comment is just another of those I've seen bemoaning the
slowness of some neighboring news admin to adopt comp.*.3b1.

My own relation with news is that I'm mighty glad that there's a
fairly competent admin on my local nntpserver (I get it all at work).
I got comp.sys.3b1 quite early, and I've seen unix-pc.* slow to a
halt (I think things are getting forwarded (?) to comp.*.3b1).

The biggest surprise is that after a year or so of seeing an average
of 0 to 10 articles per day in unix-pc.*, now on comp.sys.3b1, I'm
seeing never less than ten, up into the forties per day!

In other words, I think that news admins take comp.* more seriously
than other newsgroup names.  Of course, it's just possible that
a whole lot of people are seeing and posting to the new groups,
who never even knew about unix-pc.*.

Finally, I must agree with Gary Trujillo's posting, that the old
groups shouldn't be abruptly abandoned.  Cross post to unix-pc.general
for those who don't get comp.sys.3b1 yet!  Let the agreed-upon time
schedule play out.

Oh yes.. does the readership of comp.*.3b1 feel that perhaps we
should consider _selling_ unix-pc.* (5 count 'em! 5) to the people
who, stuck with Intel boxes, would like a real operating system?
I briefly got the impression that some of them were in fact taking
it over 8-)

--
Chuck Bacon - crtb at helix.nih.gov - 301-496-4823
	"After all, computers have rights too!" - Ernst Bacon, 1898-1990