looking for graph software

John Campbell jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu
Sun Feb 10 12:12:04 AEST 1991

>From article <28 at pute.UUCP>, by jwalp at pute.UUCP (+John H. Walpole+):
>
> I am looking for a software package that will take a
> group of numbers and draw a graph.  Using the numbers input.
> This graph could be a bar graph, pie chart, or a line chart.
> Is there any pd software for the 3b1 that will do anything
> like this??

Gnuplot will plot line charts from a list of numbers stored in a file.
(It's also able to do functions--plot sin(x) for instance.)

Bar graphs and pie charts can be done with a gnuplot variant called
fchart.  Gnuplot is easy to get hold of--it's on osu-cis.  fchart, if
you really want that instead, is somewhere in Finland.  I haven't bothered
building it, but it uses the same terminal drivers as gnuplot and
should work on the 3b1.  Additionally, there is gplotlib which is a
library of plotting routines that use the gnuplot terminal drivers.  It
has as an example a bar graph plotting program.  Pie charts could also
be done if you wanted to write a minimal amount of your own code.

Gnuplot officially lives (for North America) on cs.duke.edu.  That is
where you'd have to look to find gplotlib.

PS the cs.duke.edu gnuplot may be a bit newer.
	John Campbell               jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL at NAUVAX.bitnet
	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.