".GIF" files

Steve Barber steveb at ombrage.mi.org
Thu Feb 7 02:27:06 AEST 1991

In article <57 at morwyn.UUCP> forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>I'm not sure how long ago I posted this, but because of the problems
>some people are having with the new groups, I decided to post this
>request one more time.  Pardon the inconvenience!  :)

I had problems getting mail to you the first time (your system name was
not recognized by my internet forwarder), so I'll post this this time:

>I'm looking for a way to view standard ".GIF" files on the 3B1...
>there MUST be a way... but I have no idea, and would appreciate it
>if someone out there could let me know.

Yes, there's a way.  Download the PBMPLUS utilities, and then pick up
my pbmto3b1 program from osu-cis.  You'll need libpbm.a from the PBMPLUS
stuff to compile pbmto3b1, and you'll need the other PBMPLUS utilities to
do the format conversions.  Once you've got it all built, you can do this:

giftoppm < filename.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

(I did this with a gifto3b1 script on my system.)

Let me know if you have any problems.
Steve Barber  [steveb at ombrage.mi.org]