Unix pc sluggishness when switching windows

Craig Campbell craig at attcan.UUCP
Sat Feb 9 06:07:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb5.040416.354 at shibaya.lonestar.org> afc at shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:

>So, what is slowly degrading in the kernel that is fixed at boot time?
>Has anybody else noticed this?  Does anybody have a clue as to what it is?

>--
>Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
 			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc

I have found that, if I have a parallel port printer connected to the system,
and the printer is powered off, a lot of disk activity occurs.
The printer is, of course, configured as well.
This seems related to a lot of activity by one of the first system processes
(can't quite remember which one).

Don't know why.  Don't know if this helps.  Fix was to leave printer on.

later,

craig