OBM <--> Telebit incompatibility: SUMMARY

David S. Herron david at twg.com
Mon Feb 18 07:50:57 AEST 1991

In article <984 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>(The basic notion is that when a connection is established, the getty - which
> is not a real getty, but just a front end - reads the speed code from the
> modem, and then invokes the real getty after having done an ioctl, or it calls
> the getty with the speed as an argument - I forget which.

Yes.. that's a fairly simple thing to do ..

but *WHY* do this?  I run mine (3b1 with TB+) with the interface
speed locked at 19200 and have no problem.  The modem simply takes
care of translating any speed difference internally without need
for hacks like BREAK.  I also run with hardware flow control enabled

(yeah, sure, lots of systems use BREAK for switching baud rate .. that
doesn't make it any less of a hack)

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david at twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david at ms.uky.edu>