Unix pc sluggishness when switching windows

Augustine Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Fri Feb 8 03:17:12 AEST 1991

In article <979 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <1991Feb5.040416.354 at shibaya.lonestar.org> afc at shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
>
>> So, what is slowly degrading in the kernel that is fixed at boot time?
>> Has anybody else noticed this?  Does anybody have a clue as to what it is?
>
>Yup.  It's a memory leak of some sort in the window manager.  Do a "ps -el"
>and take a look at the memory size numbers |
>     1 S     0 17268     1  3  27 20 14d 18: 13   5af68  w4  2:36 wmgr
>
>I just killed and restarted wmgr recently, so not much memory has been
>consumed so far (I've seen the first number as high as 80 or 90).  Let's
>see what I get if I kill and restart wmgr again:
>
>     1 S     0 20490     1  6  27 20 1e5  6: 12   5af68  w4  0:04 wmgr
>
>Maybe one of the UNIXpc development team out there who have access to
>the source code of wmgr can take a look for us.  I've just learned to
>kill and restart wmgr every 2 or 3 days.

This is not a leak, it's a FLOOD!  I just hit the <SHIFT><RESUME> button
24 times and that was enough to bump the memory size by 1.

Please, somebody with source, would it be possible to either get a patch
to fix this or to store a fixed binary version at osu?

Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc