3b1 printers and the #*@/& Smart Software

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.wa.com
Sun Feb 24 06:22:31 AEST 1991

Just a quick note for any of you poor souls who, like me, still occasionally
try to administer the Smart Software on your systems.

After having all sorts of problems, I finally discovered that Smart only
knows about the parallel and the one built-in serial port.  It knows nothing
about the other (possible) 6 serial ports on the expansion cards.  As an
example of the problem, if you attempt to do single-sheet printing from
within the wordprocessor, the program will always respond that the "Print
spooler is unavailable" if the printer is attached to an expansion port but
will succeed for printers attached to either /dev/lp or /dev/tty000.
(Running strings on /usr/bin/smartwp will reveal the built-in bias.)

So, if you have expansion ports, a serial printer and the Smart software,
consider reconfiguring your printer for /dev/tty000.
--
Jeff Small                     C. Jeffery Small & Associates    (206) 232-3338
uunet!nwnexus!cjsa!jeff        7000 E Mercer Way,  Mercer Island, WA     98040