how do I get ftp?

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly.UUCP
Thu Feb 28 13:42:57 AEST 1991

In article <1931 at public.BTR.COM> thad at public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
>One person (whom some of you may remember) is presently having a news feed
>problem, with nothing entering or exiting his site.  He asked me to repost
>the enclosed reply on his behalf.  So be it.
>
>-------------------- begin enclosed material
>
>>From kpc.com!bri Wed Feb 20 20:42:00 PST 1991
>Article: 102 of comp.sys.3b1
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.3b1
>From: bri at kpc.com (Brian Rice)
>Subject: Re: how do I get ftp?
>Date: Thu, 21 Feb 1991 04:28:53 GMT
>
>First, I am saddened by the fact that we still have only one choice for
>network software for this machine.  WIN TCP/IP is hardly a solution:
>sendmail is completely unusable and file transfers are slower than a call
 [ ... ]
>In the meantime, had anyone compiled a version of sendmail that doesn't
>leave defunct processes or 'worm-holes'?

Check out sendmail 5.65 with IDA enhancements. The version on osu-cis
(N.B. not in the att7300 directory) with IDA version 1.3.5 will compile on
the 3b1 and does not have a problem with defunct processes. If by
``worm-holes'' you're referring to the mechanism by which Morris invaded
the Internet, that had been fixed as of version 5.58 or thereabouts.

There is a more recent version of the IDA enhancements, but I haven't
check it out yet.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM