how do I get ftp?

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Tue Feb 19 22:22:08 AEST 1991

renkel at motcid.UUCP (Will Renkel) in <4645 at apricot17.UUCP> asks:

	I guess I must succumb to the pressures and ask - How does one obtain
	a copy of "ftp" for a unix-pc(3b1) when the only current access to
	networking is uucp?  I need phone numbers, etc to retrieve it.  Also I
	would hope it has documentation on how to set it up?  Thanks in
	advance to any and all who might respond.

"ftp", along with its required driver, accompanies the WIN/3B TCP/IP package
(hardware and software) for the 3B1.  The hardware is a plug-in card (NAU)
having a 15-pin AUI connector; the software comprises the "basic" software
suite of executables and daemon programs, along with some header files and
a library.

I don't know useful the software will be without the specific 3B1 hardware.

If you can write your own device driver, you could snarf the 4.3BSD Tahoe
networking software sources from uunet, ucb, etc. and cobble-up perhaps a
SLIP-based package.  Some of the 4.3BSD software has been ported to the 3B1
(with much pain, I may add :-)

One frequent poster to this newsgroup is David Herron who works for The
Wollongong Group and he "might" be able to provide more information.  The
last I heard, the Ethernet software for the 3B1 is no longer supported.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]