Virtual memory and exhaustion

Tom Tkacik CS/50 tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com
Thu Jun 27 23:27:23 AEST 1991

In article <137 at morwyn.UUCP>, forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
|> I've been noticing this problem more and more recently as I attempt
|> to compile things.  And the problem is consistently saying :
|>
|> 	"Virtual Memory exhausted ..."

Have you been compiling with gcc?  That is a gcc error message.

|> I have recently had this problem when trying to compile the GNU
|> fileutils programs.  This is version 2.01 I am compiling... yet
|> the previous version I had (1.14?) I had absolutely no problem.
|>
|> Also, this machine doesn't like to compile PERL either... so I had
|> to snarf the executables from elsewhere.

Gcc can take lots of virtual memory to compile large files,
more than a 3b1 has.
I know that in perl there are two files, eval.c and toke.c, that cannot
be compiled with gcc on a 3b1.  I have not tried compiling the fileutils
programs, but suspect you may have the same problem with them.

I always simply fall back on cc for those files that gcc can't handle.

Virtual memory is limited to 2.5Meg independent of RAM and disk size.
--
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs
tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com