mailx problems - anyone seen these?

Tom Tkacik tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org
Sun Jun 16 11:16:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.233136.9742 at fithp>, mhw at fithp (Marc Weinstein) writes:
> I'm having a number of problems with mailx, originally received from
> THE STORE!.
>
> First, there are times when I'll receive a number of mail messages
> from different systems, yet the display of messages (from the 'h'
> command) will show some messages coming from the wrong systems.  I
> think it happens only with two consecutive messages - mailx will show
> both messages as coming from the sender of the first message.  The
> Subject displayed is always correct, though.  I think it's especially
> sensitive to smail-type messages, where the message header contains
> multiple reply fields (eg - both a From: field and a Reply-To: field).

I have seen this more often than I would like.  It seems to me that it
happens when one message does not have a subject line.  For some reason
that message is said to come from the same person as the message before
it.  It is definitely a bug.  I got used to it when I realized that
without the source, there was nothing I could do about it.

I will take unsupported free software with source before unsupported
software without source anyday.  (I continue to use mailx because I am
used to /usr/ucb/mail, and mailx seems to be a clone of that.)

> The second problem is coupled with heavy I/O activity on a tty.  When

I have not seen this problem yet.

I have a question of my own.  When replying to a message, mailx will
insert the current message indented (with a tab).
I would like to use the standard '> ' to precede each line of an
inserted message.  Does anybody know if this can be done?

--
Tom Tkacik                |
tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org       |     To rent this space, call 1-800-555-QUIP.