TAR on 3b1

Tom Kelly tom at sco.COM
Fri Jun 28 22:09:29 AEST 1991

In article <136 at morwyn.UUCP>, forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes
about problems with

In <57141 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:

> The tar on the 3b1 (like all SYSV tar's) does not make you owner of
> the files by default.  To do this you must include -o:
>
> 	zcat file.tar.Z | tar xvof -
>
> Do you mean that:
>
> 	uncompress file.tar.Z
> 	tar xvf file.tar
>
> does work?  The above will not fix it then.  I have never seen this work
> if the above did not also work.  What error message is tar giving you?

I have seen the behaviour that Forrie has complained about.  There
is no message from tar, it just hangs.  (This problem is independent
of the ownership problem, which is solved with -o as Tom said).
I don't know if the problem is with the pipe, or tar's handling of
standard input, but I suspect the pipe.  I have largely switched
to cpio, and find that it works fine with a pipe.

Tom Kelly (scocan!ancill!tom)