fan speedup-power supply question

~XT6562000~Bill Simeon~C82~rfe~xxxx~ wgs at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Thu Jun 13 22:28:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.125517.9615 at news.gvl.unisys.com> derekp at gvlf9-m.gvl.unisys.com () writes:

(Preliminary stuff deleted)

>		1. The fan didn't do the speed up slow down trick until after
>		installation of a combo card (in slot 0) AND the occurance of
>		a hot day (No its not in an air conditioned room, no I don't
>		leave it on all the time)
>		Is there a connection with the combo card, and slot 0 (under the
>		power supply). There was not a lot of dust under or in the fan.

The DC fans in the 3b1/7300 are dual speed fans. When the temperature inside the
case raises above a set level, they speed up. When it drops, they slow down.
This does NOT indicate a problem, either with the machine in general or the
power supply in particular.

>		2. The power supply: The one I bought was marked
>			Power Systems: pn PS-1569
>			5v/20a 12v/3.5a -12v/100ma.
>
>			What I foud went I went thru the fan exercise (my supply, which
>			is functional)
>			Power Systems: pn PS-1610-1
>			5v/20a 12v/5a -12v/300ma.
>
>		What is a proper PS for a 3b1. (67 meg drive 3.5 meg ram 1.5 of
>		which is on a combo card)

The proper PS for a 3b1 is the 300ma. supply.

>		Did I buy a 7300 PS?

Yep, you did.