HDB UUCP w/external modem

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Wed Jun 19 14:59:35 AEST 1991

I have a 3b1 with 3.5.1.4.  I've just installed HDB.  Which works well
with the OBM.  (I think).  I've installed an external 2400 baud
modem which needed the \M business.  The modem is a Gandalf 24S
with a Hayes compatibility mode.  I've selected the interface
lines (theoretically) compatible with the V.22 bis standard in the
modem.  I'm using the uugetty that came with HDB.  I'm running it
off tty000 (tho, I do have a RS232 card)

I'm having a few problems:

    1) When I use a cable I had around for a printer (I think it's
       got a jumper or two in one end), I can dial out, but it won't
       auto answer.  The modem occasionally hangs (eg: once a day)
    2) When I use a purchased straight thru cable:
	- via cu, I get echo from the modem even with ATE0
	- when I enable echo (ATE1), I get *two* echos, the second
	  usually garbled.
	- The above occurs with uucico, and callouts usually fail.
	- it won't answer the phone.

I've tried all of the interface signal options on the modem:
    1) DTR is ignored, CTS, DCD and DSR forced on.
    2) DTR is monitored, and its status is reflected to CTS, DCD and
       DSR.
    3) Dataswitch compatible operation:
       - CPU initiates call by asserting DTR, modem responds with
	 CTS, DCD and DSR.
       - calls disconnected by dropping DTR, modem drops CTS, DCD
	 and DSR
       - incoming calls indicated by assertting RI, CPU responds
	 with DTR.  Then asserts DCD and CTS when handshake completed.
    4) V.22 bis compatibility.

Often when there is an incoming call, uugetty goes away and is
replaced by login.  Login may be talking to the "RING" the modem
is emitting.  But the modem has NOT answered the phone.

Modem DTR indicator appears to be always on.

These are my various entries (broken for readability):

    /etc/inittab (leading space)
	 000:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 tty000 2400A

    /etc/gettydefs:
	1200A# B1200 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXOFF ECHO
		OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL IXON OPOST
		ONLCR B1200 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK
		TAB3 #\nWelcome to the AT\&T UNIX pc\n\nPlease login: #2400A
	2400A# B2400 CLOCAL BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXOFF ECHO OPOST
		ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL IXON OPOST ONLCR B2400
		CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK\
		TAB3 #\nWelcome to the AT\&T UNIX pc\n\nPlease login: #1200A
	(Is CLOCAL supposed to be on?)

    Dialers:
	gan24s	=,-,	"" \dA\M\pT\pZ\p\r\c 0-\dA\pT\pZ\p\r\c-0
		A\pT\pV\p1\pE\p1\pQ\p0\p\r\c OK \E\dA\pT\pS\p7\p=\p9\p0\r\c
		OK \E\dA\pT\pD\pT\p\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c
	(the modem seems to lose characters, hence all the pauses and
	 \E's.  Note the \M and \m

    Devices:
	ACU tty000,M tty000 2400 gan24s

Have I done anything obviously wrong?  Does the HDB uugetty work
properly or do I need to get another one?  Does the 3b1 tty000
port support DTR properly?

My inittab or gettydefs entry might be slightly off because the HDB
install broke, so I had to manually complete that part.

Thanks.