nethack3p10 on unixpc/3b1/7300

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Thu Jun 27 10:14:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.041914.25466 at iguana.uucp> merce at iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) writes:
>i have compiled and run nethack3p9 on my 3b1.
>
>i used gcc -traditional for all modules except monst.c which died in gcc
>but was successful with the stock compiler.
>
>the problem i have is that when i use the 's' search function, it dies.
>
>grrr...
>
>i just shelled out and tried it again, and it didn't die on me.

	I have been being hit with this search bug, which is deadly if you
are an elf, since they automatically use the search by their very nature.  I
have always been hit by it, till I just tried it by shelling out of trn, in
which it now works.  Since it doesn't dump core, it makes it hard to
determine the source of the problem.  The error message is:

	Memory fault

I am running pl9 also.  I've just been doing without the search command, and
never playing as an elf.  I tried to figure out what caused it when I first
hit it with no success.  That was a while ago, and I no longer have the
sources on the system, since I've started getting netnews, I need the disk
space :-)

	I hit the problem even if logged in via ethernet and rlogin, but if
I shell out, from trn, or from jove, I don't.  I wonder why?  Lets try
something!

Shelling out from jove and doing:
	dnichols at ceilidh 203 > stty -a
i get:
	speed cluster baud; line = 0; intr = ^c; quit = ^u; erase = DEL; kill = ^x;
	eof = ^d;
	 eol = ^`
	-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl -cread -clocal
	-ignbrk -brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
	-ixon -ixany -ixoff
	isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
	opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

Going to another window and doing:
	dnichols at ceilidh 206 > stty -a
I get:
	speed cluster baud; line = 0; intr = ^c; quit = ^u; erase = DEL; kill = ^x;
	eof = ^d;
	 eol = ^`
	-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl -cread -clocal
	-ignbrk -brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
	-ixon -ixany -ixoff
	isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
	opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

Since I don't trust my eyeballs for a quick comparison scan, I save each to
a different file, then run diff on them, and see no difference, so whatever
the difference, it isn't the tty characteristics visible to the system.

	Anyone have any idea what is causing this?
		Thanks
			DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564