Fans (was Re: 3B1 in the news(groups))

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Wed Jun 19 09:12:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun18.032817.14348 at texrex.uucp> rmfowler at texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:

	[ ... ]

>Having two fans; one blowing in, one blowing out?  There has been discussion
>in the past about fan usage and it seemed to me that the 'FARTASS' method
>might be the best way to keep air moving through the computer.
>
>The only problem I see is that maybe the air blowing in exits through the
>holes in the back(front)-plane before being sucked out by the other fan.

	All the better!  If the incoming fan is filtered, and has a bit more
airflow than the outbound fan, the extra lost through the holes will keep
the dust-bunnies out.  I haven't checked for the 3" fans, but the 5" fans
(from Rotron, at least) were available in both the 7-watt version (whisper
fan), and the 14-watt version (more noise, but more airflow).  If there is a
similar pair available, this sounds like the way to go.  With the original
7300's fans, run the inbound one on the full 12VDC, while sending reduced
power to the other.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564