afio and sc build questions

John Ruckstuhl ruck at reef.cis.ufl.edu
Fri Jun 21 21:13:00 AEST 1991

1)  Regarding "afio" (recently posted to comp.sources.3b1).
    I had to change afio.c, in line 2929, to say SIGCLD instead of
    SIGCHLD, in order to make afio.
    Would you confirm my sanity and tell me that is the correct fix?
    Or, am I missing a library or include file that would support
    SIGCHLD?

2)  Regarding sc 6.16.
    My original thoughts are indented by "> ", and my thoughts after
    some experimentation are inserted.
    Would be kind enough to comment on my thinking?

> A.  with the CFLAGS I've chosen, compilation of lex.c will fail unless I
>     define SIMPLE=-DSIMPLE.  Is this really necessary on the 3b1?

not if CFLAGS="-O -DSYSIII"

> B.  if I use CC=cc as the link editor, the final linking of the sc
>     executable will fail, regardless of the order in which I name the
>     libs.  I can get sc linked when I specify CC=shcc, though.  Do you
>     think shcc knows about other libraries that I didn't specify for cc?
>     How should I define LIB if I was using cc?  (I don't plan to, but
>     I'm trying to learn a little about why things don't work as I expect).

shcc will, for example, link with /usr/lib/libtermcap.a, whereas cc will
not unless termcap is explicitly mentioned.
With CC=cc and CFLAGS="-O -DSYSIII",
    LIB="-lm -lcurses -lPW -ltermcap"
will work.
With CC=shcc and CFLAGS="-O -DSYSIII",
    LIB="-lm -lcurses -lPW"
will work.

> C.  Finally, with the above massaging, I get an sc executable.  But it
>     doesn't work -- the screen comes up normally, but sc doesn't respond
>     to my typing.

> I think I'm doing something major wrong.  Maybe -DSYSV2 isn't
> appropriate.

use -DSYSIII.
(Why does the makefile say this is Xenix?  Is Buhrt mistaken, or is the
3b1 OS like Xenix?)

> Here's my local redefinitions (don't worry about the funky quoting of
> DFLT_PAGER and CRYPT -- this information is not excerpted directly from
> the makefile):
>          MANDIR=$(MANDIR)/man1 \
>          MANEXT=1 \
>          SIMPLE=-DSIMPLE \
>          SIGVOID= \
>          RINT=-DRINT \
>          RE_COMP= \
>          REGCMP=-DREGCMP \
>          DFLT_PAGER=-DDFLT_PAGER='\"more\"' \
>          CRYPT=-DCRYPT_PATH='\"/usr/bin/crypt\"' \
>          IDLOKBAD= \
>          YACC=byacc \
>          PSCLIB= \
>          CC=shcc \
>          CFLAGS="-O -DSYSV2" \
    CFLAGS="-O -DSYSIII" \
>          LDFLAGS= \
>          LIB="-lm -lPW -lcurses"
    LIB="-lm -lcurses -lPW -ltermcap"  (although, with shcc, termcap
                                                   needn't be mentioned)

Thank you for your comments.
Best Regards,
ruck.