vi BUG REPORT

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 16:39:01 AEST 1991

I haven't seen any previous report of this problem, soooo.....

On hico2,
vi has difficultly with a particular kind of long regular expression.

When I try to locate long lines in a file with a regular expression
such as below (with a couple more dots), vi will either
	fail, complain, and drop into ex mode,
	or
	fail in such a way as to interfere with collection of keystrokes.

/......................................................................../

This is not an artificial example; I'd like to use this to find lines
over a certain width in a file.

I have not tried this with other machines, and my vi is modified by
the standard modelines patch (removes the modelines feature of vi)

If it is true that there are possible future releases of software
for this machine, and that this problem is not just some pecularity
of the software on this machine, I'd recommend fixing this.
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                          uunet!westmark!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak