swap space

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Sun Jun 16 05:28:31 AEST 1991

In article <100425.7286 at timbuk.cray.com> andyw at aspen32.cray.com (Andy Warner) writes:

	[ ... my mistaken assumption deleted ... ]

>This probably won't work. I'll defer to anyone with access to the
>source, but the kernel doesn't use /dev/swap, that's just for things like
>ps. Most V.2 kernels use three variables rootdev, swapdev & pipedev to
>find their root, swap & pipe device. These are either compiled into the
>binary (though they are variables, so you can patch them with adb), or
>are picked up from the Volume Header Block of the boot disk. I don't
>know if the Convergent VHB hold information about what a slice is to
>be used for (I've got a feeling it doesn't). One good thing is that
>I'm sure they pick up the size of the swap device from the VHB, so you
>don't have to tweak that.

	Looking at the /usr/include/sys/gdisk.h file to check for this, I
found something that looks interesting.  Does this mean that I can have a
filesystem automatically mount itself (aside from under the control of
/etc/rc)?  If so, when would this happen?  Does it happen only for
removable-media drives like the Syquest?  How about a floppy?  I can see why
I might want to have removable-media drives automount, but is there any
reason for doing things this way with a normal disk partition?  Is there any
good reason for this to exist?  Why am I asking all these questions ... ?

/*      volume home block on disk       */
struct vhbd {
        uint    magic;          /* S4 disk format code */
        int     chksum;         /* adjustment so that the 32 bit sum starting

	[ ... ]

        char    fpulled;        /* dismounted last time? */
***>>>  struct  mntnam mntname[MAXSLICE];       /* names for auto mounting.
                                                        null string means no
                                                        auto mount */
        long    time;           /* time last came on line */

	[ ... ]
};

	Thanks
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564