TAR on 3b1

Roger Abrahams roger at booth.uucp
Sat Jun 29 22:36:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun28.120929.24594 at sco.COM> tom at sco.COM (Tom Kelly) writes:
>In article <136 at morwyn.UUCP>, forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes
>about problems with

>In <57141 at rphroy.UUCP> tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:
>
>> The tar on the 3b1 (like all SYSV tar's) does not make you owner of
>> the files by default.  To do this you must include -o:
>>
>> 	zcat file.tar.Z | tar xvof -
>>
>> Do you mean that:
>>
>> 	uncompress file.tar.Z
>> 	tar xvf file.tar
>>
>> does work?  The above will not fix it then.  I have never seen this work
>> if the above did not also work.  What error message is tar giving you?
>
>I have seen the behaviour that Forrie has complained about.  There
>is no message from tar, it just hangs.  (This problem is independent
>of the ownership problem, which is solved with -o as Tom said).
>I don't know if the problem is with the pipe, or tar's handling of
>standard input, but I suspect the pipe.  I have largely switched
>to cpio, and find that it works fine with a pipe.
>
>Tom Kelly (scocan!ancill!tom)

It is a well know problem that the "tar" supplied with the Unix-PC will
hang in a pipe IF you are "root" and after attempting to make a directory
that is missing in the output.  You then must interrupt the tar process and
re-start it, at which point the directory will be there and tar can put
the files into it.  It will stop again when it has to make another
directory that is missing.

Note that this only happens if you are "root" (or have an id of 0) and
are in a pipe.

This is really strange, as you could make a case for the opposite conditions.

I am also not sure that this is the behavior Forrie describes, as tar will
do something (at least make 1 directory) and, if there were no directories
to make, would appear to work fine.

						- Roger at booth.uucp