MDG / ipcs on the on the 3b1

David P Cutter dpc6787 at cs.rit.edu
Mon Mar 4 04:45:57 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Feb28.182152.11622 at cbnews.att.com>, by tjl at cbnews.att.com (timothy.j.lipetz):
>
> I have questions about shared memory and ipc messages on
> the 3b1 and also about the multi player dungeon game MDG.
> ...(stuff deleted)
>
> MY QUESTIONS...
>
> How many message headers does 3.51m have?  How do I check
> that?
I have no clue.

> I tried running ipcs, but all it ever said was 'no memory file'
> whatever that means.  How can I get it to work?
I never have seen this?  Maybe the permssions on the 'ipcs' executable
are wrong.  When I bought my 3b1 the "ipc's" weren't being loaded upon
bootting.  Try '/etc/lddrv/lddrv -s' , I think this shows the drivers
that are loaded - I don't think this is your problem though :).

> I tried running mapmem (from the net) to look at shared memory.
> How does mapmem indicate a shared memory block?
>
> Finally, has anyone gotten MDG to work well on the 3b1?
> Should I recompile it with the 3 player max limit?
I got it to compile and run.  I set the max player limit to 3 mainly
because I'll never have more than 3 users on my system anyway.  I
haven't tried playing with two players yet.  I did notice that one
player was SLOW.  I was thinking of slowing down the "clock daemon".
Let me know what happens.

Dave Cutter