Kermit 5A(166) is very jerky

Augustine Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Mar 30 06:09:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.171239.8337 at colorado.edu> wouk at alumni.colorado.edu (Arthur Wouk) writes:
>this is on a 3b1 with 3.5 megs ram, 3.51a os.
>
>i just picked up kermit-5A(166) from csvax as andy posted the other
>day, and installed it. i get a very jerky screen display as though
>a batch of data is sent to the video in a burst followed by a
>slight pause, then the next burst. is this common to all 3b1
>implementations, or are there some parameters to twiddle?

I suspect that has to do with 3.51a.  I'm running 3.51m and kermit5A(166)
and see nothing of the sort.  I remember, though, that async_main
used to behave like this in the old days before 3.51m.

>i find it very hard to watch, by the way. i was using 4E(59) which was
>slower but also scrolled across and down the screen in a way that is
>easier on the eyes.

Version 4* kermits consumed lots of CPU cycles for no reason.  One thing
I have noticed in the latest (5A) kermits is that the OBM doesn't hang up
properly when exiting with "^\ c" and then q.  Andy was notified of this and
is passing the bug report to the kermit development team; so no need to
bother Andy any more about this...  Exiting with "^\ h" and then q works.

Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc