Port of MINIX to Unix-PC

Dave Mankins dm at think.com
Fri Mar 15 14:18:01 AEST 1991

In article <5409 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> ac999321 at umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (ac999321) writes:
>Just curious; why would you want to port Minix to this system when you
>already have a better version of Unix running on it?

Two reasons:

	``better'' is open to dispute --- quite a few of us
		curmudgeons still look back fondly on Version 7,
		with which MINIX is compatible.

	complete sources --- even though I have quite enough
		kernel hacking at work to keep me entertained, I
		still itch to change a few things on the 3b1
		(getting rid of the 14 character filename limit
		is the biggest, adding a file-system driver that
		talks across a serial line to the *really big*
		disks at work, changing the screen driver so
		windows can stretch from the top to the bottom of
		the screen, and so they only have one-pixel
		borders...)

--
david mankins (dm at think.com)