and nroff (Re: Drawing Programs, Printers . . . )

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at duke.cs.duke.edu
Fri Mar 8 06:29:42 AEST 1991

In article <1181 at hico2.UUCP> kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>In article <5237 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler at umbc4.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
>> output) with the tex output.
>. . .
>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.

If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and well defined.
All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to fig file
format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.

I won't have time to do this until after the semester, (some time in may),
but if there are no takers, I'll give it a shot then.

Tom Pusateri
Duke University