TONS of unix pc stuff for sale or trade!!

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Tue Mar 5 16:54:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb25.202111.7354 at isc.rit.edu>, jjwcmp at isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:
> In article <1991Feb23.211446.3821 at yenta.alb.nm.us> dt at yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
> >Even if you have nothing to buy or sell just now, give her a call
> >at 1-800-227-2362 (Vicki) and have her send you a flyer.  It's
> >nice to know we can still get this stuff.
> >

>  I just got off the phone with Vicki, and she said she's been buried
> with calls from us Usenetter's (35 since 9 this morning).
>
> The evidently buy and sell a large variety of stuff. Their price for
> the floppy tape is $395, and combo boards are $195...

Cheeze, doesn't anyone have any bad words about Computer Horizons :-) ?

I was considering replacing my system so I could run SVR4.  While
figuring finances, I considered selling my current system to help
defray the cost of the new system.  Now my max'ed out 3B1 (tape,
dos-73, populated combo, extra combo, etc.) has dropped in value
by 30 - 60 percent.

Cheeze, you might think this is a free enterprize system ;-(.

Seriously, CH is a good organization.  I've had two dealings with
them and both turned out well.  Just be sure you know what you are
getting and that it is complete.

My word of caution stems from one of the two deals that could have
turned out bad.  I had a 3B2 at work.  CH advertised used serial "ports"
cards at a very good price.  I ordered two, but they only had one in
stock.  They delivered one used card and one new, never opened card.

Fine!  Especially considering the used card was just that.  No docs.
The new card had the users manual AND a diskette of software that
had to be loaded onto the card firmware at boot time.  Without the
software, the cards were useless.

So, the upshot is "Buyer be knowledgable".  I wasn't and could have
been burned.  CH `might' have rectified the situation had I not had
the needed software.  I just don't know, they were not put to the
test.  Aside from that, they seem honest and good to deal with.

Recommended.

Jon

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon