Bug Fix for screen prints on Epson-like printers

Floyd Davidson floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Mon Mar 4 22:42:58 AEST 1991

In article <72 at oink.UUCP> jep at oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:

>I hacked a patch into the screen print program that prints a copy of the
>screen pixel by pixel.  The patch corrects the line spacing.
>
>As the screen printing is done in graphics mode, the line feeds need to
>advance the paper 8/72" instead of the normal 1/6".  As distributed,
>the sprint program does this too late.  It doesn't change the line
>spacing until _after_ the graphics printing.  This causes the first
>screen print to have horizontal gaps, and subsequent text printing to
>be scrunched vertically.
>
>My hack implements the 8/72" line spacing at the beginning of the
>graphics printing, and set the line spacing to 1/6" after the screen
>print.

[...]

>Caveats:
>
>This patch works for by Okidata Microline 182i which is _supposed_ to be able
>to emulate Epson printers.  I have not tested the patch on an actual Epson
>printer.  It might be the case that the original sprint works fine on real
>Epson printers.  If screen prints work on your machine, then don't mess
>with this patch.  In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Interesting...  I've got an Epson RX-80 hooked up to one of my machines.
It worked fine with the screen dump, but...  What you describe is what
I got with Paint_Power output.  I built a little filter to change the
printer setup commands in the Paint_Power output file and pipe it
through the filter on the way to the printer.

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd at ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.