Do you use MS-DOS format floppies?

andrew.d.hay mvadh at cbnews.att.com
Fri Mar 15 23:19:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.212645.10354 at ssd.kodak.com> staffan at phos.serum.kodak.com (Kenneth Staffan (x37507)) writes:
"I often use floppies to port stuff between my 3b1 at home and PC-AT at work.
"I always format the floppies at home.  When I write the disk at home & read
"it at work, it _always_ works.  I have a problem going the other way, though.
"9 out of 10 times (or more, it's very frustrating) when I write the disk on
"the PC and try to read it on the 3b1, I get a "can't read file allocation
"table" error.  If I take the floppy back to the PC, it reads it fine.  This
"happens whether I use a freshly formatted floppy, or one which I just used
"for a 3b1->PC transfer.  Anybody have any suggestions?

the at has a 1.2M drive, right?  this is a common problem in
transferring disks between 360K and 1.2M drives; the low density drive
writes wide tracks which the high density drive can read, but the high
density drive writes narrow tracks the low density drive can't read.

--
Ragged Individualist	| 			JAAAAAAANE!		       |