Silent mail handler

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly
Wed Mar 27 13:20:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar25.035039.14319 at ferret.ocunix.on.ca> clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:

>  The biggest
>advantage is that smail 2.5 is small and pretty reliable.  (There are
>fixes available for some of the problems, though, you'r not likely
>to ever encounter them - I've not applied the fixes, and I've never
>hit them myself).  Other alternatives are Smail 3.1 (large, but more
>capable - eg: multiple gateways), sendmail (capable, but worthy of a
>Phd if you successfully manage to reconfigure it), and deliver (of which
>I've heard good things, but have no real detailed knowledge).

Both versions of smail fail to handle the "%-hack" (See RFC1123), and
smail 2.5 doesn't handle smtp at all, and is therefore useless for sending
mail over an Ethernet link (since uucp over Ethernet is not supported on
the 3b1).  Sendmail does the job admirably, and frankly isn't as difficult
to configure as some people think.

>Smail 2.5 and deliver can be found in comp.sources.unix or .misc archives.
>I'm not really sure where you'd find a copy of sendmail source (but I wouldn't
>recommend it anyhow) or smail 3.1.

Sendmail source is available on osu-cis in ~/sendmail (I recommend the
version with IDA enhancements, which compiles cleanly on the 3b1).

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM