How to fix "disk almost full" message

Yigal Arens arens at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 26 06:42:35 AEST 1991

A week or so ago I asked for advice on how to get rid of that annoying
"disk almost full" message that pops up in a window every few minutes
when free disk space drops below 5%.

There have been many responses, some posted, and many more mailed
directly to me.  At the beginning I thanked each respondent
personally, but as the number grew I neglected to do so.  So let me do
so now: Thanks to all who responded!

The message in question appears to originate with smgr, but simply
killing that process has the unpleasant side effect of getting rid of
cron (and the time of day displayed at the top line of your screen).

The best solution, in my opinion, and the one which I have adopted,
involved using adb to edit /etc/smgr.  It was posted a couple of days
ago, but for those who missed it, here it is again: