nroff macros: anybody recognize this?

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Wed Mar 27 08:59:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar23.200044.15510 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> templon at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
>This is not a 3b1-specific question.  Several of you seem to be quite
>roff-aware so maybe you know.  I had no idea where else to ask...

>I want to format this file, but I don't know what macro setup to use or
>even if this is {n,t}roff language.  I tried RUNOFF on our VMS machine but this
>was not successful.  If you know how to get this formatted please email
>or post the answer.

comp.text or alt.text.dwb would be better, but ...

Sure looks like nroff/troff input.

These are the UNIX -man macros.  Except for one oddity, that is, most of the
directives in -man are uppercase, but your sample has them all in lowercase.
There are a few directives that should be left alone (.sp, .bp, .fi, .nf),
but the rest of them (.pp,.sh,.ip etc.) should be capitalized, as in
".PP/.SH/.IP".

This isn't quite a manual page because there's no ".TH" at the top.
Try "man 5 man" on your system.  That should give you a complete list
of the directives you have to capitalize.
--
Chris Lewis,
clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca or ...uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis