Binaries needed

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Thu Mar 14 19:28:34 AEST 1991

In article <ASHERMAN.91Mar13182334 at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu> asherman at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) writes:
>Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
> [...]
>some replies about the fact that if I was developing code, I must have the
>development package, and thus MUST have vi).
> [...]

Huh?  Come again.

But you DO have "vi" if you have (at least) the 3.51 Foundation Set disks.

The ENCRYPTION SET (two disks) for "System Software Version 3.51" contains the
following goodies:

	crypt
	ed
	vi
	shlib
	makekey
	libc.a
	libp.p

Personally, I use GNU EMACS and have for 12+ years, since Stallman's efforts
were first collected and distributed under an ONR/ARPA contract.  If you want
to get technical, here's the blurb from the cover sheet of the manual and tape
which RMS personally handed to me back around 1978 or 1979:

	EMACS Manual for TWENEX USERS

		   by

	    Richard M. Stallman

[...]

	...work done at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory of the
	Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  Support for the laboratory's
	research is provided in part by the Advanced Research Projects Agency
	of the Department of Defense under Office of Naval Research contract
	N00014-75-C-0643.

That contract number tells me that EMACS has been around since at least 1975,
and the date on the last TeX manual I have is "5 September 1980" for version
150 though I presently have version 160+ on my DEC-20 systems.  These early
versions are written in MIT-Teco ... if you ever want to see source code
that looks like modem line noise, let me know!  :-)   The Teco portion is
implemented in more-readable DEC-10/20 assembly language.

In any event, to bring up GNU EMACS on the 3B1 means you're gonna need
several MB of free disk for the executable, its on-line docs, and its support
programs and LISP code.

As far as performance goes, I have no complaints.  And some people have
GNU EMACS as their login shell because it's so featureful in ways that
aren't obvious to the uninitiated.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]