Different boot problem...

Brent Burton n138ct at tamuts.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 1 09:31:33 AEST 1991

I've been messing with the system trying to figure out the problem and
the one thing I have learned to do is disassemble the system in record time!
:-)  I've owned the machine two days and I bet I've opened it up more times
than most of you...

As far as the system problem goes, it was able to boot off the disk SOMETIMES
when the disk was outside the 7300.  Eventually, I decided to reformat the
drive from the diagnostics menu (what could I lose?).

I reformatted it OK, even installed 3.51 with no problems.  The 7300 would
also boot from the disk and run perfectly.

I then parked the heads (after shutting the system down) and transferred
the disk to the 7300 drive bay.  Now it would not boot from it.

Diagnostics eventually said it needed to be re-initialized, so I selected
the format drive option under the menu.  The drive (20M miniscribe, 612 c and
4 h) formatted OK.  Now the fun begins...
The next messages for me were:

Error: Can't recal:response=10
  Bad block table write failed.  Disk needs to be re-initialized.

Test: Surface Test
ERROR:Can't recal:response=10

Test:Park Disk Heads
ERROR:Can't recal:response=10

Then, the drive parks the heads OK.

Any clues?  What is a 'recal'?  Could it possibly be a problem
with the drive?

Thanks for any comments.