3b1 tape drive blues

John Campbell jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu
Fri Mar 1 04:57:49 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Feb26.030455.6985 at ceilidh.beartrack.com>, by dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols):
> In article <3402 at naucse.cse.nau.edu> jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
>
> 	Did you check the power supply voltages on machine B?  What are the
> different machines' rev levels on the cpu boards?  Rex, how about yours?

I swapped power supplies between the two machines as well as setting each
about a month prior to swapping.  I don't have the high quality VOM I used
to set them back then, that's why I swapped the power supplies.  As near
I can tell, with my cheap analog VOM, the voltages look as I set them
(5.2 and 12.4).

Rex has asked me to open my machine "one more time" and share with him the
rev levels.  (Remember, I swapped the ROMS and CPU between the working
machines last time I opened the case).  I'll do that and let Rex summarize
the rev levels.

Should we go private with this discussion or is the rest of comp.sys.3b1
interested in hearing about the problem?

Thanks, by the way, for the signals on the ribbon cable.  I'm fairly certain,
however, that they are asserted--else how could the other two machines
use the same controller, cable and drive successfully?

> 	Sounds like my situation, where the ethernet card works fine in my
> 7300, and one of the two 3b1s, but gives frequent kernal painics (I know I
> mispelled panic, it was a typo, but I'll leave it, it seems so apt :-) (Does
> that quailfy as a Freudian typo? :-)

As Rex put it, "these machines can be SO picky."

> 	Good luck with your machines
Thanks!
	John Campbell               jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL at NAUVAX.bitnet
	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.