Help! Problem with modem/uugetty interaction

Marc Weinstein mhw at fithp.uucp
Tue Mar 12 15:42:12 AEST 1991

I just switched over to a 3b1 from my old UNIX PC, and in the process I
installed the 3.51 foundation set and the 3.51m upgrade (FIX DISK 2.0).
For some reason, my external modem is now exhibitting a strange behavior
that wasn't there before.

With the uugetty running on the tty (tty002), when I try to place an
outgoing call, the modem (a Hayes) sends an OK\r Result Code, and the uugetty
sees this and sends return back to the modem, which echoes it back...The
send and receive lights on the modem end up turning on constantly, and if
I do a direct connect to the modem via cu, I see a continual stream of 'OK's
followed by two carriage returns.

Now, this didn't used to happen before, and if I kill the uugetty (remove it
from the inittab) the problem goes away.  The question is:  Why isn't the
uugetty being put to sleep by UUCP and why is it playing this game of
tag with the modem?  I noticed in the FIX DISK that a number of potential
culprits were updated: setgetty, getty, login, init.

I'm using the suggested setup for Hayes 2400 Smartmodems which was posted
to the net about six months ago (CLOCAL is disabled, etc).  It worked fine
before, but now I'm getting this strange echo problem.

Any ideas out there?

--
Marc Weinstein
{simon,royko,tellab5}!linac!fithp!mhw		Elmhurst, IL