Different boot problem...

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at btr.BTR.COM
Fri Mar 1 21:52:30 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.045750.19952 at i88.isc.com> botton at i88.isc.com (Brian D. Botton) writes:
>  BTW, if you look in /usr/include/sys/machine.m you will see that there are
>3 disk types, winchester (HD), floppy (FD) and syquest (SY).  It is fairly
>obvious from the boot ROM and loader code that support for more than the
>HD and FD was intended and easy to add.  Does anyone know what a "syquest" is?

A "syquest" is a hard drive with a removable platter larger than but resembling
the 3.5" floppies which are quite popular on many systems.

Believe it or not, I was running a Syquest as the primary HD on one 3B1
on which I was doing a lot of testing several years ago ... it was easier
just to pop in a new cartridge with a different kernel and/or other files
than it was to de-/re-cable different HDs.

I don't recommend anyone doing this (using a Syquest) unless you're fully
aware of the consequences: the kernel doesn't like to have the pager disk
removed while UNIX is running!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]