be careful around the holes at the front of the PC...

Marc Weinstein mhw at fithp.uucp
Mon Mar 4 14:29:44 AEST 1991

For those of you who have opened your 7300/3b1 case...

I recently opened my 3b1, and used a small screwdriver to free the
front of the plastic case from the metal chassis.  The screwdriver
slipped and went in through one of the little round holes.  I didn't
think I had hurt anything, but the PC all of a sudden stopped
recognizing the expansion cards.

Turns out that the "backplane" for the expansion slots is just behind
the holes in the front of the chassis.  Anything poked through can
break foils on the PC board, as I did.  I had to fix one foil with
some small guage wire.

Interestingly enough, the third expansion slot (leftmost from the
front of the PC) is more "directly" connected to the motherboard,
so it's hardest to break those foils.  The other two slots are
connected via long foils which go all the way from left-to-right
on the PC.  My break stopped two expansion slots from functioning,
as they daisy-chain the connections to slots 2 and 1.

--
Marc Weinstein
{simon,royko,tellab5}!linac!fithp!mhw		Elmhurst, IL