Different boot problem...

Brent Burton n138ct at tamuts.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 1 18:38:50 AEST 1991

Well, another update to the adventure.

A friend, Daryl, brought his 3b1 over and removed his drive; we
installed my 20M into his machine, started it up with the diagnostics
and eventually were able to add the foundation set OK.  His 3b1 booted
from my disk no problem -- we know the disk is truly not bad.

We *quickly* moved the 20M drive to my system, where it booted first.
We shutdown, reassembled the machine, tried to reboot and it failed again
(marching blocks).

We tried 2 other times with failure.  Then, we decided to check the power
supply voltages and the machine booted (this is insane).  Two other
attempts at rebooting worked fine and it's running right now!!!

The power supply is providing the following:

spec'd voltage        actual
   +5.0V               4.97
   +12.0V             11.95
   -12.0V            -12.00      (taken with new digital meter)

Where should these values lie and when I need to adjust them, which
pots on the ps board do I mess with?  (so many pots, so little patience)

Help.