COPS security audit and the unix pc.

Edward M. Markowski emm at iczer-1.UUCP
Thu Mar 28 10:54:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar26.225255.6048 at ferret.ocunix.on.ca> clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
>>chmod o-w ... /usr/spool/news
>
>Unless you're using C-news, you just broke your news system.  Aha, you
>ARE using C-news (/usr/lib/newsbin).  Consider this a warning to anybody
>else reading this article - if you're running B-news, do NOT make /usr/spool/news
>or /usr/lib/news anything other than 777.  Sigh...

In one of the header files in the news distribution(sp?) there is a
constant that will allow the lib and spool directories to be set to
755, the articles to be created 644 and the spool dirs 755.  I do not
rember which header and constant but it is documented there or in the
Nutshell book Managing UUCP and USENET.

Edward M. Markowski -- iczer-1 Administrator

                                 ...the garage is flooded from the sprinkler.
VOICE : (201) 478-6052           It also left a man's decapitated body, lying
UUCP  : ..!uunet!iczer-1!emm     on the floor next to his own severed head.
 -or- : ..!tronsbox!iczer-1!emm  A head which at this time has no name.