CPIO problem on 7300

Dave Jenks jetfuel at babbage.csus.edu
Sat Mar 2 19:37:03 AEST 1991

In article <8178 at suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> zaft at .nswses.navy.mil (Gordon C Zaft) writes:
>	Hi!  I just got my very own 7300 Unix PC (TM) up and running and
>I'm having a great time snarfing software for it, etc.  HOWEVER--
>
>	I ftp-ed a couple of software packages from osu-cis; specificlly,
>mtools and compress; compress comes as a CPIO package but when I try to
>un-cpio it by the command
>
>	cpio -itv <compress.cpio  (just trying to see what's there)
>I get an error message "Out of phase--get help".

Do this:

    $ file compress.cpio

If it comes back with ASCII cpio archive, you must specify the 'c'
option to cpio:

    $ cpio -ictv < compress.cpio
	     ^

If this didn't help, perhaps it was not ftp-ed correctly.  Did you
set binary transfer mode in ftp?  As I understand it never hurts to
do this, and is virtually the only way to get non-text data using
ftp (unless it's uuencoded).

When in ftp, do this:

    ftp> binary

ftp will make some comment to the effect that you are now in binary
transfer mode.  Re-snarf.

--Dave