stty: : Not a typewriter

Dave Hanna dave at dms3b1.uucp
Thu Mar 7 23:07:21 AEST 1991

In article <1496 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>= For example: when in vi, I like to read in the current date & time by typing
>= "!!date".  What that does is fork a shell, run date and the output of date is
>= read into the buffer (see example below).
>=
>= Wed Mar  6 07:31:23 EST 1991

>= Now for some strange reason, this is what I get when I type "!!date".

>= stty: : Not a typewriter
>= Wed Mar  6 07:38:47 EST 1991

>I know, you're not supposed to follow-up your own articles... but I do have
>more information...  This error is really system error 25 and it only shows
>up when the login shell is /bin/ksh instead of /bin/sh.  Is this weird?

I've bumped into the same problem.  It seems to come from the 'stty'
statement in your .kshrc, which, I assume, is run everytime a new
ksh is started.  Apparently, the ksh is started with stdin being
redirected somehow to come from the editor buffer, and so stty doesn't
like it.

I've gotten rid of it by adding "shell=/bin/sh" to my EXINIT environment
variable.  That causes sh instead of ksh to be used for any "!" actions.
However, I'm not really satisfied with that solution, because sh doesn't
understand "~/" notation, so I have to use $HOME (e.g., ":r $HOME/.signature")
which is annoying.

I'd be real interested if anybody has a better analysis and/or solution.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda