and nroff (Re: Drawing Programs, Printers . . . )

Robert L. Haar CS50 rhaar at albert.cs.gmr.com
Wed Mar 13 00:32:30 AEST 1991

E. Motteler) writes:
|> ->>> What I'd *really* like to be able to do is to mix
|> ->>> even some limited graphics (e.g., the "cheap draw" program's
|> ->>> output) with the tex output.
|> ->>. . .
|> ->>What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
|> ->>and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
|> ->
|> ->If you're familiar with the fig and xfig drawing tools, then you know that
|> ->there is a utility to convert fig to pic (f2p) and fig to tex or latex
|> ->(transfig). The fig file format is ascii, straight forward, and
well defined.
|> ->All we need to do is modify the cheapdraw output file to conform to
fig file
|> ->format and we're in business. There are several different versions of fig
|> ->files. 1.3, 1.4, and 1.4X come to mind.
|>
|> I wrote something called cdraw2fig a while back that does precisely that.
|> It is on its way to comp.sources.3b1 now.

Is there a version of fig that runs on the 3b1 ?  I am using xfig v2.0
on Sun's at work. It would be nice to have compatible drawing programs
both places. Also, we use f2ps to convert fig drawings to postscript - can then
be printed on pulled into tex files.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar at albert.cs.gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.